The first step we take when processing your order is to check name availability. If your name(s) are not available we will contact you immediately and keep checking additional choices until we get one that the state will accept.
Please provide us with 2 new name choices via email (we need them in writing for accuracy) and we’ll search to see if they are available or not.
View these guidelines to assist you in coming up with new name choices.
First off, review the Name Availability Guidelines to see what makes one name different from another — this will make picking a new name easier for you. Then you’ll want to pick a name that you like, for assistance in picking a name, we recommend: Business Name Brainstorming.
Checking for availability of your name yourself will not necessarily give you accurate results. MyNewCompany.com, Inc. utilizes our extensive experience in forming companies in every state to determine name availability. You can rest assured if we found the name unavailable — it is indeed unavailable.
You may have registered the name at the local level (as a DBA, FBN or Trade Name) but that is separate from registering a company name at the state level which must be distinct from all other entities in your state.
You can file at the state level with a different name and then change your DBA, FBA or Trade Name to reflect that the new owner of that local name is the company, not you as an individual.
For example, John Smith owns the DBA “Quick Kleen Services” as an individual. Because someone has already registered “Quick Kleen Services, LLC” at the state level, John will simply name his new LLC “John Smith Services, LLC”. He will then go to the filing office where he registered his DBA and change his DBA from being owned by him personally, to being owned by the new LLC.
Hence, he will be “John Smith Services, LLC” doing business as “Quick Kleen Services”. Problem solved!
This same principle applies even if you don’t have an existing DBA. If you really want a business name, you can name your entity anything (as long as it’s available) and then go to your local filing office and get a DBA for the name you truly want.
(A) Shall not contain any of the following phrases, or any abbreviation or derivative thereof: board of trade, state police, urban development, chamber of commerce, state trooper, urban relocation, community renewal, tenant relocation
(B) Shall not contain any of the following words, or any abbreviationor derivative thereof: acceptance, endowment, loan, annuity, fidelity, mortgage, assurance, finance, savings, bank guaranty, surety, benefit, indemnity, title, bond [Insurance Dept.], insurance, trust, casualty, investment, underwriter, doctor, lawyer [Requires Letter of Consent from appropriate state Dept.] unless the approval of the superintendent of banks or the superintendent of insurance, as appropriate, is attached to the certificate of incorporation, or application for authority or amendment thereof; or that the word “doctor” or “lawyer” or an abbreviation or derivation thereof is used in the name of a university faculty practice corporation formed pursuant to section fourteen hundred twelve of the not-for-profit corporation law or a professional service corporation formed pursuant to article fifteen of this chapter, or a foreign professional service corporation authorized to do business in this state pursuant to article fifteen-A of this chapter, the members or shareholders of which arecomposed exclusively of doctors or lawyers, respectively, or are used in a context which clearly denotes a purpose other than the practice of law or medicine.
(6) Shall not, unless the approval of the state board of standards and appeals is attached to the certificate of incorporation, or application for authority or amendment thereof, contain any of the following words or phrases, or any abbreviation or derivative thereof: union, labor, council, industrial organization, in a context which indicates or implies that the domestic corporation is formed or the foreign corporation authorized as an organization of working men or women or wage earners or for the performance, rendition or sale of services as labor or management consultant, adviser or specialist, or as negotiator or arbitrator in labor-management disputes.
(7) Shall not, unless the approval of the state department of social services is attached to the certificate of incorporation, or application for authority or amendment thereof, contain the word “blind” or “handicapped”. Such approval shall be granted by the state department of social services, if in its opinion the word “blind” or “handicapped” as used in the corporate name proposed will not tend to mislead or confuse the public into believing that the corporation is organized for charitable or non-profit purposes related to the blind or thehandicapped.
(8) Shall not contain any words or phrases, or any abbreviation or derivation thereof in a context which will tend to mislead the public into believing that the corporation is an agency or instrumentality of the United States or the state of New York or a subdivision thereof or is a public corporation.
(9) Shall not contain any word or phrase, or any abbreviation or derivation thereof, which, separately, or in context, shall be indecent or obscene, or shall ridicule or degrade any person, group, belief, business or agency of government, or indicate or imply any unlawful activity.
(10) Shall not, unless the approval of the attorney general is attached to the certificate of incorporation, or application for authority or amendment thereof, contain the word “exchange” or any abbreviation or derivative thereof. Such approval shall not be granted by the attorney general, if in his opinion the use of the word “exchange” in the proposed corporate name would falsely imply that the corporation conducts its business at a place where trade is carried on in securities or commodities by brokers, dealers, or merchants.
ALSO: Shall not contain “Learning Center” or language implying a degree-granting institution without permission from the Dept. of Education; “therapy or therapies”