Tax deadlines for 2018 are quickly approaching (some are due in just 14 days from publication of this post!) so here’s what you need to know to file your LLC or Corporation (or S-Corporation) taxes and some services that can make it easy for you to get done fast.
Who Needs to File
Anyone who owns part of any US business must file a Federal tax return regardless if you are a US citizen or had any revenue. Even if you didn’t do any business you still must file an “all zero” tax return. See below for assistance.
Tax Forms and Deadlines by Business Entity Type
- 1-Member LLC
- IRS Forms to File: 1040 with Schedule C (Instructions)
- Due Date: April 15
- Non-US Citizens: 1-Member LLCs that are owned by a non-US citizen must file Form 5472 and a “pro forma” Form 1120 (Only indicating the name and address of the foreign-owned LLC, its employer identification number and the date of formation). In addition, non-US citizens are required to file Form 1040-NR (or Form 1040-NR-EZ).
- 2+ Member LLC
- S-Corporation (or LLC taxed as an S-Corporation)
* or the 15th day of the 3rd month after your fiscal year ends. The vast majority of S-Corporations and Partnerships have a fiscal year that ends on December 31 (you would have had to indicate a different year when obtaining your FEIN to specify anything else).
- TurboTax Business – Just like regular TurboTax for your personal 1040 tax return, this service will help you self-file Schedule C (simple), Form 1120 or 1120S for your business. Definitely simpler than doing yourself but requires a fairly good grasp of business taxes for the form 1120 and 1120S. We recommend this option for clients that are familiar with business taxes or have a new company and only a few transactions.
- Greenback Business Services – This service will have a professional accountant file Corporation or LLC taxes (and 1 state form, if applicable) and have lower-cost options based on your annual revenue starting under $500. Note that they can also file your personal tax returns as well. MyCompanyWorks customers receive an automatic discount of $75 when purchasing a return.
- 1-800-Accountant – They provide tax, accounting, bookkeeping and payroll service for those who prefer a “full-service” solution.
- MyCompanyWorks Business Tax Guide – goes into more details about the taxes above, non-citizen taxation, state taxes, sales taxes, annual reports and basically everything you need to keep your company compliant.